Assistant Director of Recreational Sports
Department: Division of Student Affairs, Department of Campus Life
Supervisor: Director of Athletics and Recreational Sports
Location: UST Location
Purpose of the job:
The University of St. Thomas, a private university committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, is seeking an Assistant Director of Recreational Sports. The Assistant Director of Recreational Sports is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the recreational sports office. These functions include facilitating the intramural sports, group fitness and outdoor recreational trip programs, advising the university Sport Clubs Association and managing the Jerabeck Athletic & Activity Center.
Reports directly to the Director of Athletics and Recreational Sports for all matters related to recreational sports.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Student development theory is used to create, plan, and implement educational, social, physical and cultural programming designed to enhance the overall experience and achievement of both undergraduate and graduate students. These means are accomplished through the following specific duties:
- Coordinate the intramural sports program, which serves students, faculty, staff and alumni.
- Coordinate the group fitness program, which serves students, faculty, staff, alumni and Jerabeck community members.
- Coordinate the outdoor recreational trip program, which serves students, faculty, staff and alumni.
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the Jerabeck Activity & Athletic Center including scheduling of athletic facilities, coordination of outside use, building maintenance and maintenance of the outdoor pool and recreation area.
- Advise and conduct regularly scheduled meetings with the Sport Clubs Association by serving as a resource and by providing assistance in resolving on-going issues.
- Recruit, train, schedule and supervise student workers and lifeguards for the Jerabeck Athletic & Activity Center and elected members of the Student Sports Committee.
- Monitor program budgets and control of expenditures.
- Assess programs and services in order to increase the effectiveness of current programs and services, as well as create new initiatives to better meet student needs.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Student Activities on special Department of Campus Life events including Freshman Orientation, Family Weekend; Deck the Mall, Stay Afloat for Finals, etc.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Health Promotion and Wellness in implementing health and wellness programming, such as CPR, AED and First Aid training.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Athletic Department on the scheduling of athletic facilities, event set-up, game management and other items as needed.
- Serve on designated university committees.
- Participate actively in campus events in order to support the University community and provide a leadership presence.
- Create and maintain slides for the marketing system located in the hallway of the Crooker Center.
- Develop and maintain an appreciation for the unique character of the University of St. Thomas with its rich Catholic tradition.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- The Assistant Director of Recreational Sports supervises a staff of student workers. The positions include front desk attendants and lifeguards.
Qualifications and Requirements
Knowledge and skills required:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Sports Administration or related field is required.
- A Master’s degree is preferred. A minimum of two years of professional experience in a college or university setting is required.
- The director must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- · Proficient with Microsoft Office programs
- Position requires irregular office hours including after-hours and weekend work to attend student meetings and events. Office hours will be established in consultation with the Athletic Director.
- Physical requirements are those of a typical office.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of individuals in this job classification. All job classifications may have miscellaneous job duties assigned on an as needed basis. Management, at the appropriate level, retains the right to assign and change the duties of any position at any time.
This is a full-time, year round, benefit-eligible position. To apply, please send a resume, a cover letter and salary requirements to the email below. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.
Human Resources – Ref: 5118
University of St. Thomas
Houston, TX 77006
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal opportunity Employer